Monday, October 13, 2008

Ground Cherries

These little gems popped up in my CSA basket & then again at this past week's Logan Square Farmer's Market. Prior to my CSA encounter a couple of weeks before, I had never heard of this fruit. This cousin of the tomatillo (which also grows inside of a husk) is said to be similar to a Cape Gooseberry (which again I have never heard of) and is native to North America. The texture was very similar to a grape tomato, but the flavor is much sweeter - closer to a grape. So far I have used the Ground Cherries in a salsa (combined with jalapeno, onion, cilantro, cherry tomatoes, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt & pepper) as well as a sweet addition to a smoked trout salad. Keep an eye out for these delicious little bastards.

salsa

smoked trout salad with ground cherries and arugula

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I loved that salsa! It's something you have to make again for us! Wish we had those by us...