Sunday, September 28, 2008

Mac and Cheese with Collard Greens

As the weather begins to turn fallish, my belly craves warm comforting foods. Pictured above is some Macaroni and Cheese paired with braised Collard Greens (from my Harvest Moon Farms CSA). The Mac. and Cheese is simple, but quite rewarding - my favorite is the crispy bottom of burnt-cheese goodness. To make this dish I prepared 2 cups of macaroni as directed, made a Béchamel sauce (1 and 1/2 cup simmering milk whisked into a roux (2 tbsp butter & 2 tbsp. flour), slowly melted in 8 oz. of shredded Gruyere and finished with a pinch of Nutmeg, Salt & Pepper. I then lightly oiled the inside of two individual sized casseroles, tossed the macaroni with the cheese sauce and filled the dishes. I topped the dishes with a mixture of Bread Crumbs and fresh Thyme as well as a couple of small dollops of butter and baked in a 400° oven for 35-40 minutes (until the tops are golden brown). We enjoyed the mac and cheese with Collard Greens sauteed with onion, garlic and braised in chicken stock and cider vinegar.

No comments: